Some useful statistics in this post.
Does it sound counter intuitive to say there are no “anti-Islam events” going on around the country? In actuality it isn’t. We have but to check the FBI’s hate crime statistics to see this fact born out. The FBI shows that it is far more likely that you’ll be discriminated against if you are Jewish then if you’re a Muslim.
The last year that the FBI has released full data for hate crimes is 2008, but it shows that hate crimes against Jews far out number those against Muslims. The stats I had the other day once again come in handy…
FBI Hate Crime Statistics: Religious bias
Of the 1,732 victims of anti-religious hate crimes:
- 66.1 percent were targeted because of an offender’s anti-Jewish bias.
- 7.5 percent were victims because of an anti-Islamic bias.
- 5.1 percent were victims because of an anti-Catholic bias.
- 3.6 percent were victims because of an anti-Protestant bias.
- 0.8 percent were targeted because of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
- 2.8 percent were victims because of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion).
- 4.0 percent were victims because of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
But let’s face reality, here. As I said, there is a lot of disgruntled talk among Americans in general against Islam. This is only natural due to the provocations Muslims have indulged. America didn’t just wake up one day and decide to hate Islam. Islamists have for 50 years been doing their best to provoke that hate. They started the ball rolling by blowing people up, cutting off people’s heads, stoning women, hanging gays, destroying world art treasures, killing American soldiers, “honor” killing children, and generally making a hazard of themselves. Then they have the gall to say WE are the ones in the wrong? Points to them for blatant arrogance, I guess.
Whenever any Muslim leader cries “islamophobia”, a red flag called “possible radical” goes up in my mind. Any leader of a group that is as connected to terrorism as Islam ought to be worried about his own house before complaining about other people. Yet, it’s often very had to find an Islamic leader who is prepared to unconditionally condemn violence against innocent civilians such as Hamas commits.
The other irony is of course that as hard as the Islamic community cries about discrimination, it’s a well known fact that their community has at least some responsibility for the problem of anti-semitism – a problem ten times as big against a demonstrably smaller and more peaceful community internationally.