Ok, let’s take a step back.
- A lot of people have been trapped. But a relative few buildings are affected.
- A lot of people are injured, but medical resources are coping very well indeed
- Water is a problem, but workarounds are well under-way
- A lot of buildings are damaged, but they were all insured, and resources were already being mustered to assess, repair and rebuild.
- There are aftershocks, but because this was an aftershock, it won’t be as bad as before.
- There is plenty of food
- People are pulling together
- Where resources are needed from elsewhere, they are being as organised quickly and efficiently as possible
- Stuff is opening again – the airport is open, other things will open soon
- There’s no cholera, nor is there a serious chance of an outbreak
- It’s Christchurch and a few surrounding towns. The rest of the South Island is fine, and ready and willing to put all our resources at your disposal.
I guess what I’m saying is, Don’t Panic – it could be so much worse.