Saw this exchange on twitter, and thought I’d lay it out in a post. It’s quite revealing of the way some people try and argue – and let’s be clear, I’ve seen this on both sides of the aisle.
Stranahan should be familiar to regular readers (both of you!), he’s a lefty who works for conservative publisher (and left wing abuse target) Andew Breitbart.
The tweet that inspired this post 🙂
Symbolman gets an idea (and continues the abuse) – he can prove he’s right by showing that there’s no proof produced that he’s wrong. Stranahan suggests that perhaps this idea got him in trouble previously?
Stranahan makes another point, with a side dish of abuse.
Symbolman, convinced that he has now won his argument, declares that his opponent is in denial and the end is nigh. Stranahan is curiously obsessed with the idea that Symbolman should really produce some proof before he declares this.
…and follows up with an observation we all know is true.
Apparently this guy is big on the DailyKos.
He tries another tack.
Symbolman brings out another new tatic – belittling dismissal. Stranahan suggests that simple answers can in fact be written simply.
Meanwhile a lefty chips in and abuses Stranahan for defending his friend Breitbart.
Stranahan is still looking for an answer to his original question. Incidentally, I count 14 different ways of Symbolman avoiding answering it at this point.
Simple request, abuse in return. Block. Done.
Ok, now quite done. People don’t get how a lefty can work for someone they hate as much as Breitbart.
I’m pretty sure he blocked him after this one.
This one was the one that got my attention initially, and I worked my way back from there.
Thought I’d include these in case anyone claimed I was missing them…
- Claims projection
- Insists that his opponent would never tell the truth, so no rebuttal is possible
- Dismisses anything other than his side as a dodge
- Insults opponent in about 3 different ways, including claiming he’s incapable of comprehension and part of the “conspiracy”
- Outright abuse
- Demands everyone else produce proof
- Defames Breitbart is is all about
- Declares that Stranahan is in denial
- Declares that lack of proof is proof of his claim
- Tells Stranahan to sue him
- Tells Stranahan he doesn’t have to answer his questions
- Tells Stranahan he’s ignorant
- Tells Stranahan he’s unable to even understand twitter
- Belittling dismissal