One of the best ways blogs work is to bring out facts that might otherwise remain hidden.
There are many examples:
- Fauxtography in the recent Lebanon war
- Dan Rather’s fall from grace
- The Red Cross “targeting” incident
These are a couple of majors there’s lots of examples every day.
- Michelle Malkin was pictured in a bikini supposedly from 1992, then someone pointed out that that bikini only came on sale within the last year or so.
- Little Green Footballs points out today that Syria is boasting the UN can’t stop them.
- Howard Dean stating that Wallace was “Fair” but then changing his story after the Clinton interview.
Often, these sources are as innocuous as the MSM itself (often “quiet” stories), or the readership of a blog. In the case of the Red Cross, it was enough to point out pictures of real destruction by missiles.
My point is this: Original sources often say quite different things to the public presentation and/or interpretation.
Enter Winston Peters. “Brash is Evil”.
Ah… no, sorry he’s not.