Legal Insurrection reminds us that it’s been 5 years since the George Zimmerman verdict.
They helpfully include a list of “myth buster” posts they did at the time. It’s dismaying and depressing how so many of these myths are still prevalent.
Of course, I summarised their coverage at the time, by creating an index of the witnesses and how Andrew Branca reported them.
Then there is, Patterico’s analysis of Zimmerman’s 911 calls and how the media tried to make these evidence of wrongdoing and the fact that Zimmerman’s then wife was actually prosecuted for perjury because she said “I don’t know how much money is in the paypal account I don’t control”. It’s astonishing how widespread the lies and dishonesty surrounding this case were – and still are. Why on earth would you prosecute someone for “lying to the court” like that? It’s astonishingly unjustified and totally vindictive, especially compared to the way the prosecution
- “forgot” to hand over evidence
- when discovered, fought requests for evidence to the appeal courts
- created a black-and-white photo of Zimmerman’s injuries,
- continually implied that the law required not just actual harm, but serious harm before self defense applies
- tried to use emotional reactions to undermine forensic experts
I note my final paragraph on the latter post.
Indeed, at this point one is left wondering how the lawyers involved can continue this charade. Do they honestly think that this level of dishonesty won’t get them kicked out of the legal profession?
How naive of me.
In the last 5 years I’ve argued a few people on this case on Twitter. Two incidents stand out:
- Someone tried to tell me a “witness 26” testified to some blatant racism on Zimmerman’s part. There was no such witness, and of course all the witnesses were named. Assuming these were witnesses interviewed as part of the investigation, their testimony must have been utterly useless, as several witnesses that did make it into the trial were laughably un-credible.
- Someone tried to tell me that the forensic expert used by the defense, the late Dr Vincent Di Maio, had somehow been outed as a fraud. In reality, he was one one the foremost forensic experts in the world, near the end of his career.
What’s really sad is how this entire thing ruined Zimmerman. I keep getting told how he’s been arrested so many times now, has associated with people who are clearly racist.
My reply is always the same: if you have 2 death threats per minute, after being cleared in one of the most one-sided trials ever, how is that going to affect your life? If you get told by everyone that you’re a racist, who are you going to end up gravitating to?
Zimmerman and the people around him had their lives turned upside down, by people who didn’t care about the truth.
Well, I care. I hope that’s something.